Bee & Wasp TipsComments Off on Bee & Wasp Tips
As we’ve already covered, Bee Season is here and there is always a possibility that your home or yard end up being a perfect home for an ambitious new colony! Here are some basic tips to keep bees from causing you trouble. Some of these tips can be more important than others if you or your family members are allergic to bee stings.
Inspect your home for gaps or cracks that may have opened up during the winter months, or that maybe you hadn’t noticed before. Bees only need a very small gap to infiltrate a cavity that they feel would be a good place for a new home. Make sure you repair any openings as soon as you can, and pay attention to see if any bees are going in and out of the opening if you don’t know how long it’s been there.
- Wasps are a bit different in that they like to attach their nests up against a home where it’s protected by the sun, like roofing trusses. Alternatively some wasps build their nests underground very close to the surface.
- Select areas that are away from the home to garden or plant flowers. This will simply keep bees from working directly next to your home entrances.
- Spend some time organizing your yard. Keeping a tidy area will make it more difficult for bees to locate a suitable area to set up a new colony.
- Look for and fill any holes that animals might have burrowed into your yard. This will help keep both bees and wasps from nesting on your property.
- Cover your outside trash and recycling bins, preferably with sealable lids. Most of our city-provided trash or recycling has built-in covers, but if you have any large outdoor trash cans, invest a couple of dollars into tight fitting lids.
If you do find that bees or wasps have taken up residence on your property, please don’t try and handle it yourself. Not only can this be a major health problem, but in many cases without professional treatment the problem can come right back. Give the professionals at Results a call today. We give free estimates and can confirm your bee or wasp problem. You can even ask about our bee season special for a low-cost way to keep your home bee free for good!