Monsoon season is beginning to wrap up here in Tucson and with all this moisture we begin to see the next plague that Tucson residents experience: mosquitoes!
Only some types of mosquitoes can spread germs (viruses and parasites) to people and animals. West Nile virus is one of the most common mosquito-borne diseases in the continental United States. Dengue, chikungunya, and Zika virus outbreaks have occurred in US states, but not always in every area – they can be localized.
The way that mosquito contracts and then spreads disease is somewhat complex. Which is why it every mosquito does not harbor dangerous viruses. It is however impossible to identify one that has or has not contracted a dangerous disease which is why vigilance is the best policy!
- 1) A mosquito takes a blood meal from a person or animal.
- 2) If the blood meal contains a germ, then the germ must pass from the mosquitoes’ gut into its body. Mosquitoes do not transmit all kinds of germs, only those that can grow or multiply in the body of the mosquito.
- 3) The germ multiplies in the body of the mosquito. Then the germ moves from the body into the salivary glands where saliva is made. This process takes 2-3 weeks.
- 4) The next time a mosquito bites a person or animal, the germ passes from the salivary glands into the blood of the person or animal being bitten.
- 4) The person or animal can get sick.
Can You Get Rid of Mosquitoes?
Absolutely! While it’s not possible to eliminate every single mosquito that might run across your property, by eliminating their ability to breed and thrive. The maximum travel distance of mosquito is only a mile or two. Many species will only travel several hundred feet. Eliminating all the mosquitoes around your individual property makes a massive difference in how many you might see in any given day.
Rather than facing hordes of mosquitoes, you may only see 1 or 2 that have ventured from an adjacent property. In these small numbers they can be easily managed with traps, zappers or repellent.
How Can I Get Started?
Just call the pest control pros at Results Pest and Termite. Our team can come out and treat your yard with advanced pest control techniques to ensure that your property is not a breeding ground for mosquitoes. We go right to the source to get rid of these problems for good.