Termites feed 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Their preferred food source is found in wood and paper products. Here in Tucson, drywall is one of the best things on the menu. You can have ongoing termite damage occurring in your home for years that can go unnoticed if you are not looking for signs of termite activity because they feed on a structure typically from the inside out.
If you don’t like excuses, you must want RESULTS!
Termites cause over 5 billion dollars of damage every year. If structures become compromised because of termite damage and require costly repairs, home insurance policies do not always cover that type of damage.
Termites are also much more active after the monsoons have given the Sonoran Desert much-needed moisture. This is the season that they begin to build their colonies and look for food sources. Termites are so common in Tucson that it’s always a question of WHEN termites will come for your home, not IF. Without protection, every home in Tucson will at some point show up on the menu for a termite colony.
Here are some common-sense tips for homeowners to help prevent termite activity around their home:
- Look carefully around the perimeter of your home to see small tube-like structures from the ground going up your foundation
- Make sure you look for damaged or rotting fascia
- Keep attics and crawl spaces well-ventilated and dry
- It’s recommended that you keep a one-inch gap at least between soil and wood portions in the home
- Ensure your gutters are effectively moving water away from your home and ensure any clogged or damaged gutters get cleaned and repaired
If you would like to know more about Termites and how they affect your home, check out our Termite Control page to learn more.